Haverford Heritage Trail
Directions from Previous Site: (From final Site 32) From east end of Chatham Glen path, cross Heatherwood Road and follow Covington Road seven short blocks, crossing Earlington Road in the process. Pause between 507 and 509 Covington Road for a Philly skyline view, then right on Warwick Road for one short block to Myrtle Avenue and St. James Church gravel parking lot. Follow walkway from back left corner of parking lot, then turn right to the mansion. The front entrance is on the far side.
Physical Address: 143 Myrtle Ave., Havertown PA
GPS Coordinates: 39.97682, -75.28475
Parking: Gravel lot at entrance on Myrtle Ave.
Ownership: Haverford Township
Arcadia Book Page: 84, 96, 97
Description and History: The Grange (rhymes with “range”) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Situated on one of the earliest Penn land grants to Welsh Quaker Lewis David (1681), it was initially named “Maen Coch” or Red Stone, after the family’s home in Wales. Each generation expanded the house, beginning with son Henry Lewis in 1700. In the 18th century, Captain John Wilcox called this home “Clifton Hall” during his time here. Later, owner John Ross was host to many influential visitors including the Marquis de Lafayette, Robert Morris, Revolutionary War generals Knox and Mifflin, and George Washington. Today’s Grange is the mid-nineteenth century Gothic Revival home and gentleman’s country seat envisioned during the Ashhurst family ownership. There are over 9 acres of gardens, woodland trails and numerous dependencies -- the long barn, spring house, “necessary,” carriage house, tenant house, converted dairy barn (now St. James Church) and charming ruins. On the garden path off the front porch is a Pennsylvania State Champion beech tree. Owned since 1974 by Haverford Township and managed by Friends of the Grange, the grounds are open to the public daily from dawn to dusk. The mansion is open for special events and tours on weekends from April through October and in December. There is a fee for tours inside the mansion. www.thegrangeestate.org