Haverford Heritage Trail
Directions from Previous Site: Main Trail: From Leedom/Dickinson House: continue up Mill Road to Earlington Road. Beechwood Park Option Trail: From Site B1 (Cobbs Creek School): go down Earlington Road one block, then left onto Mill Road. Both: Proceed on Mill, then take first right onto Ridgeway Road, go two long blocks to end, then right onto Hastings Avenue and quick left onto Campbell Avenue, then around bend, and eventually turn right onto St. Denis Lane. Meeting House will be on left.
Physical Address: 235 E. Eagle Road, Havertown PA
GPS Coordinates: 39.99073, -75.30477
Parking: Along St. Denis Lane or at Meeting House
Arcadia Book Page: 37
Description and History: The Old Haverford Friends Meeting is the earliest place of worship built in Haverford Township, dating back to 1688, and is still in active use. (It is actually called “Old” because another meeting house (Site H3) was later built in Haverford Township.) The original log meeting house had a stone addition added at its south end in 1700. William Penn is known to have visited and worshipped here. In 1800 a second stone section replaced the original log section, creating the main building seen today. Later, lower additions were added at the rear (south) end. The property originally extended farther west, and a related Friends burial ground is located farther up Eagle Road. There is a Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission cast monument sign in front of the meeting house along Eagle Road. The Delaware County Planning Department has determined that the Old Haverford Friends Meeting is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.