Haverford Heritage Trail
Directions from Previous Site: Continue up Tunbridge Road, cross College Avenue and go one block further. Make right onto Blakely Road and proceed to end, make left onto Coopertown Road, then make right through gateway opening of high wall into former Allgates estate. Allgates is the first house, set well back, on the left side.
Physical Address: 15 Coopertown Road, Haverford PA
GPS Coordinates: 39.99911, -75.32597
Parking: On street
Arcadia Book Page: 100
Description and History: Banker and financier Horatio Gates Lloyd, Sr. had architect William Eyre design the mansion for his 26.6 acre, 1911 Allgates country estate in Haverford Township. It is considered one of the outstanding Delaware County properties of the 20th century, with circular driveway, lily pond, pool, terraced formal gardens, a depressed circular “Iris Bowl” (containing hundreds of varieties and a gazebo), pump house, stable, sheep meadow, rustic log cabin and swimming hole, as well as servant housing and outbuilding complex. The mansion, built of New Jersey sandstone covered with stucco, featured 55 rooms (each with a fireplace), hand-carved stone columns and mantels, carved paneling, Mercer tiles, and bronze radiator grills with scenes of the property. The estate house, pump house (never actually used for that purpose) and the stable are separate residences today, and many features of the grounds remain in place. Lloyd served as a township commissioner and donated the funds in 1937 to purchase a former bank building at East Darby and Mill Roads to house the Haverford Township Free Library. The Allgates estate complex is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Lloyd’s son, Horatio Gates Lloyd, Jr., lived on an adjoining 1930 estate of 76 acres. His somewhat more modest mansion "Linden" on Darby Road just south of College Avenue is now the Quadrangle administration building.