Haverford Heritage Trail
Directions from Previous Site: Proceed back through Thompson Park, keeping to left of small brook, then make right onto Furlong Avenue, then left onto Steel Road. Golf course will first appear on the left along Steel Road and then on both sides. (Photo taken from Steel Road and Edmonds Avenue.)
Physical Address: 950 West Chester Pike, Havertown PA
GPS Coordinates: 39.96810, -75.31427
Arcadia Book Page: 72
Description and History: Established in 1901 on a large parcel of land, the Delaware County Country Club opened an 18-hole golf course in June 1903. The early club underwent several organizational and name changes. In 1916, as the Bon Air Country Club, it changed its greens from sand to grass surface. The original 1902 clubhouse was destroyed in a fire in 1918. In 1919 the club was rechartered as the Llanerch Country Club. The present club house opened in 1920, and the course was redesigned and expanded to 27 holes in 1928. Although a club, the property was originally owned by an individual until 1946, when 119 acres of the property were purchased and reconstructed as an 18-hole course. The Llanerch Country Club has hosted a number of tournaments and championships, highlighted by the 1958 PGA Championship. The course was redesigned before the 2005 season, and today Llanerch is Haverford Township’s only remaining country club. NOTE: Choose here to continue on Main Trail or take Narbeth Option Trail to Site N1.