Haverford Heritage Trail
Directions from Previous Site: (Haverford College Option) Proceed to right of Founders Hall, then along walkway alongside it through campus. Cross Carter Road and look slightly to left for pathway to small Meetinghouse Bridge over Railroad Avenue. Cross bridge and follow Meetinghouse Walk to Friends School and Meeting House on the left. NOTE: There are a few steps up to the bridge, which is narrow, and Meetinghouse Walk is flagstone. Cyclists should walk their bicycles.
Physical Address: 851 Buck Lane, Haverford PA
GPS Coordinates: 40.01346, -75.30927
Parking: Lot at Meeting House and school
Arcadia Book Page: 38
Description and History: With the creation of Haverford College in 1833, there arose a need for a Friends Meeting House more convenient to the campus to serve its growing population. In addition, a separation which occurred in 1927 within the Society of Friends in the Philadelphia area resulted in the Old Friends Meeting (Site 9) becoming a Hicksite meeting, while this “new” meeting was Orthodox. This Lane meeting house and its original horse shed were built in 1834, and the long porch was added in 1894. Subsequent changes have been made over the years. Founded in 1885, the related Friends School Haverford is a Quaker-related, co-educational elementary school. A small burial ground is situated between the Meeting House and the School House. NOTE: "Go To Next Site" button leads to Site 20.