Haverford Heritage Trail
Directions from Previous Site: (Narbeth Option) From Llanerch Country Club, proceed on Steel Road, then left on Greenview Lane, then right onto Park Drive. Cross West Chester Pike and turn left, then right onto Woodbine Avenue, then right onto Whitney Avenue. Site is mid-block on the left.
Physical Address: Whitney Avenue, Havertown PA
GPS Coordinates: 39.97384, -75.30728
Parking: On street
Arcadia Book Page: 10
Description and History: The oldest fieldstone portion of the house “Narbeth” (not to be confused with the slightly differently-spelled borough name “Narberth”) was built in 1697 as an addition to a log house built by early Quaker settler Richard Hayes from Pembrokeshire, Wales. This section is the part with the higher, more steeply pitched roof. It features a restored 12 foot wide walk-in fireplace, along with original flooring and beams. The middle section was added in about 1799 where the log cabin once stood. It was the birthplace in 1804 of George Smith M.D., author of the early and important “History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania” written in 1862. Dr. Smith also founded the Delaware County Institute of Science. The last section of the building was added about 1811. The house remained in descendants’ hands until 1916, when some restoration and modernization was performed. The Delaware County Planning Department has determined that Narbeth is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.