Trail Marker

Haverford Heritage Trail
Site 26: Leedom Barn

Directions from Previous Site: From Lawrence Cabin Original Site, turn south off Old West Chester Pike onto Hilltop Road, then right onto access road to township Public Works yard. At the far end of the yard, on the creek side of the school bus lot fence, follow unimproved Darby Creek Trail along creek about one mile to Merry Place on Glendale Avenue. Proceed through parking area toward the Merry Place gazebo, then bear to the left to a small wood footbridge, then angle left back to Glendale Road. Cross carefully to township Parks and Recreation building, go to back left corner of parking lot and proceed up steep walking trail to the end stub of Hillside Avenue. Then continue up through the trees and Hilltop Park, and turn left to Bon Air Terrace. Building is across street. NOTE: Cyclists may want to continue south on Glendale Road from the Merry Place driveway, then turn left up Burmont Road and left again onto Steel Road (the on-road Steel Road Option), then left on Central Avenue to Bon Air.
Physical Address: 1360 Bon Air Terrace, Havertown PA
GPS Coordinates: 39.96369, -75.32564
Parking: On street
Ownership: Private
Arcadia Book Page: No


Description and History: This stucco-over-stone house was once a barn. It bears a datestone of 1807 and has an attached carriage shed, now updated to a garage. The barn was associated with John Leedom, who in 1875 owned 156 acres of farmland and woodlands. Like many barns, it was situated on sloped land in such a way that the lowest level could be entered from one side of the building, and an upper level from the other side.

Go Back One Site Go To Trail Map Go To Next Site