Haverford Heritage Trail
Directions from Previous Site: Adjacent to Lawrence Cabin (Site 5)
Physical Address: Karakung Drive, Havertown PA
GPS Coordinates: 39.98613, -75.28883
Parking: Small gravel lot below site
Ownership: Haverford Township
Arcadia Book Page: 12
Description and History: The Nitre Hall Powder Mills were built by Israel Whelen shortly after 1800. Our young nation had growing needs for explosives, and the mill prospered with an output of 800,000 pounds during the War of 1812. Nitre Hall Mills produced a quality and quantity of black powder second only in the U.S. to the Dupont Mills on the Brandywine. Nitre Hall itself served as the home of the powder master, William Rogers, who ran the operation. After the powder mill closed in 1840, Dennis Kelly bought the property and converted the buildings to the manufacture of textiles. Today Nitre Hall is preserved as part of Powder Mill Valley Park. It serves as the headquarters of the Haverford Township Historical Society, housing its reference library, archives, and collections of textiles, photographs and artifacts pertaining to local history. It is open to the public from May through October on a scheduled basis, in June and October for special events, and by appointment. Nitre Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.